Larry Elfring
Some people knew Larry as a father, a friend, a son, and a grandfather. I had the pleasure of knowing him as a neighbor. I was 7 when we moved in across the street from the Elfring's house, and Larry personified the quiet existence that this little neighborhood exemplified.
People will remember him for many things. For me, three things come to mind-Larry's pool, his lawn, and his front porch light.
Growing up, I found it amazing that even in the dead heat of summer, Larry's lawn still remained green and plush like some warm green carpet. He always kept it in tiptop shape, from mowing it first thing in the morning, regular fertilization, and watering in all the right areas. The only reason I know that riding lawnmowers have headlights is because Larry used them.
When I was older, Larry's pool became the envy of the neighborhood. Every once in a while, we'd get a call from him to help him undo the pool cover, which was a great leeway to ask him if me and my brother could use the pool. Every time we used it, he carefully checked the temperature, and naturally, it was just right. This careful way that he maintained his belongings was something that is admirable, and will sorely be missed.
The most important thing that I will remember Larry for was the front porch light that shines directly into my bedroom window. Night after night, that light illuminates my room. It was a nightlight when I was younger, and now it is a reminder of how my old neighborhood always stayed warm under the guidance of Larry's light.
Thanks for keeping the light on Larry. You will be sorely missed.
People will remember him for many things. For me, three things come to mind-Larry's pool, his lawn, and his front porch light.
Growing up, I found it amazing that even in the dead heat of summer, Larry's lawn still remained green and plush like some warm green carpet. He always kept it in tiptop shape, from mowing it first thing in the morning, regular fertilization, and watering in all the right areas. The only reason I know that riding lawnmowers have headlights is because Larry used them.
When I was older, Larry's pool became the envy of the neighborhood. Every once in a while, we'd get a call from him to help him undo the pool cover, which was a great leeway to ask him if me and my brother could use the pool. Every time we used it, he carefully checked the temperature, and naturally, it was just right. This careful way that he maintained his belongings was something that is admirable, and will sorely be missed.
The most important thing that I will remember Larry for was the front porch light that shines directly into my bedroom window. Night after night, that light illuminates my room. It was a nightlight when I was younger, and now it is a reminder of how my old neighborhood always stayed warm under the guidance of Larry's light.
Thanks for keeping the light on Larry. You will be sorely missed.

1 Comments:
Well said! The light is always on...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home